CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Instant Chai Latte Mix



So after mother nature has been teasing us with semi-warm weather (low to high 40s) she hits us with a blizzard just to be followed by more warm weather.  So after coming inside after being pelted with large wet snow flakes from getting my daughter on the bus, I came inside and made a hot cup of tea.


Now I have never been to Starbucks.  Ever.  In my entire life.  Yes, I live a very sheltered life, but I am too cheap to spend that much money on a cup.  So when I saw this mix I was intrigued.  I have never had Chai, I am not even entirely sure how it is pronounced, but I have been told it tastes like pumpkin pie.  And that it does.  This drink was amazing (even though I cringe every time I think about the fact that I spent $11 on a bottle of ground cardamom, you know it smells like gumdrops?!)  My mom is even hooked on it.  This recipe makes about 1 1/2 quarts of mix, roughly 112 cups.  



Instant Chai Latte Mix
adapted from The Cheeky Kitchen

1 Cup Non Fat Dry Milk Powder
1 Cup Non Dairy Creamer
1 Cup French Vanilla Non Dairy Creamer
1 1/2 Cups White Sugar
2 1/2 Cups Unsweetened Instant Tea
2 tsp Ground Ginger
2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
1 tsp Allspice
1 tsp Nutmeg
1 tsp Ground Cloves
2 tsp Ground Cardamom
1/2 tsp White Pepper

In a large bowl, combine milk, both creamers, sugar and tea.  Stir in spices.  In a food processor, blend 1 Cup at a time, until it is a fine powder.  This is important because it grinds the milk to it is evenly distributed and so the sugar doesn't settle at the bottom.  Store in an air tight container.  

Mix 2 heaping spoonfuls into a mug of hot water or milk.  I prefer to use hot milk with a little bit of agave nectar mixed in.  I like my drinks sweet.









Share




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love this drink, Hot milk or Hot water don't matter to me. I like mine a little creamier so I add some extra powdered creamer to it.

Love Mom.

Amy said...

It's pronounced this way - the "ch" is the same as in "cheek," and the "i" is long. The a is just there for looks. :)

Great recipe - can't wait to try it.

Cassandra said...

Heh, Thanks Amy! Hope you enjoy it.

Amy said...

I had to come back and tell you what I did - I had everything on hand except for the powdered tea, so I just mixed it all up without the tea and added a couple of teaspoons of the chai mix to a cup of hot tea. AWESOME! And best of all, it can be caffeinated or decaffeinated, depending on which tea bag I use. This is definitely better than the chai flavored tea bags I got at the store.

I'm going to post my version on my blog, with a link back to you. :)

Thanks!
Amy

Post a Comment