CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Blarney Stones


Happy Fat Tuesday.  Hope everyone is enjoying the Mardi Gras festivities.  I don't have any Mardi Gras recipes ready at the moment but the kiddos are watching The Princess and the Frog...ok ok, I like the movie too.

I do bring some St. Patrick's Day treats.  Both me and my husband come from dominant Celtic backgrounds, and with my my heavy interest in genealogy and history of our backgrounds, I've been wanting to compile a collection of recipes for our ethnic background also.  While this recipe probably isn't Irish at all, it's also known as peanut cake squares, it's a fun dessert to serve at St. Patrick's day parties and kids are sure to enjoy it.



Blarney Stones
adapted from Taste of Home

4 Eggs
1 3/4 Cups Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 3/4 Cup All Purpose Flour
3 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Salt
1 Cup Milk
1/4 Cup Butter, Melted

Frosting:
7 1/2 Cups Powdered Sugar
2/3 Cup Milk
2 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/8 tsp Salt
6 Cups Finely Chopped Peanuts

Preheat oven to 350 Degrees F.  In a large bowl, beat the eggs, sugar and vanilla until thick and lemon colored, about 4 minutes.  Combine the flour, baking powder and salt and add to egg mixture.  Beat on low speed until combined.  Beat in milk and butter.

Pour into greased 13 x 9 in baking pan.  Bake for 30 - 35 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.  Cool on a wire rack.  Cut into 24 squares.  Cover and freeze for 8 hours.

In a large bowl, beat powdered sugar, milk, vanilla, and salt until smooth.  Frost the top and sides of frozen cake squares.  Roll in peanuts.  Place on wire racks to set.







Recipe linked to:



Dining With Debbie


Share




7 comments:

Mandy Bird said...

So fun! Thanks for sharing on Totally Tasty Tuesdays : )

carolinaheartstrings said...

Those look really good and easy. I bet my kids would love them. Hubby too!

Unknown said...

I was just telling my students the story of the Blarney Stone and Blarney Castle today. I'm such a St. Pat's nut! I do hope you will come share this on What's On the Menu Wednesday this week.

Carol @ There's Always Thyme to Cook said...

Amazing treats! Wish I had some to snack on, they look so good!!

Suzy said...

I've never heard of these but they sound really tasty!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe it..........My mother in law has made this recipe for over 50 years for St Patty's Day.....She is of Irish decent and so am I........I have taken over making them for her she is now 86 and if I didnt make them my grown boys get upset....So glad to see them on your blog. I love your blog and check you out often......Thank you for all the work you put into your blog it is very much enjoyed.

Lisa said...

These sound so neat! I think I'd be willing to kiss these Blarney Stones (that is before I eat them up completely).

Post a Comment