CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Slow Cooked Pot Roast


Yesterday while my mother and I were doing our weekly grocery shopping, I bought myself a birthday present.  I have been waiting a long time for this book to come out and finally had the cash to buy it.  Many of you have probably heard of it or have already read it.


Yep.  Ree's novel.  I started reading it last night.  I got to chapter 8 before having to force myself to put it down and go to bed.  It is such an amazingly sweet love story and Ree's way with words make you feel like your right there with her.  I can't wait to finish the book.

This meal I made for Valentine's Day.  I don't get to make to often because meat that isn't ground beef or pieces of chicken are so darn expensive.  I got chuck roast on sale so I saved it for V-Day.  The slow cooker is a great tool in getting a moist and tender roast and the addition of beer made the meat fall right off.



Slow Cooked Pot Roast

3-5lb Chuck Roast
1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
1/2 tsp Black Pepper
1/2 tsp Ground Thyme
1/2 tsp Dried Rosemary Leaves
1-2 Tbsp Olive Oil
2 Cups Beef Broth
12 oz Can Beer ( I used Budweiser)
8-10 New Potatoes or Small Red Potatoes, Washed and Peeled if desired
1 pkg Baby Carrots (all I had was frozen carrots)
1/2 Onion sliced
2 1/2 Tbsp Onion Soup Mix

Add about 3/4 of your vegetables to your slow cooker.  Sprinkle with half of the onion soup mix.  Mix the seasonings together and rub all over the chuck roast. In a large pan add oil and heat over medium heat.  Sear all sides of the chuck roast.  Lay the roast over the vegetable.  Add remaining vegetables around roast.  Pour beef broth in.  Add the can of beer to the pan in which you seared the meat and cook over low heat, whisking to get up any drippings.  Pour pan into slow cooker.  Sprinkle with remaining soup mix.  Cook on high for 3-4 hours.






sig



Share


3 comments:

Nourhan @ Miss Anthropist's Kitchen said...

Ahh, lucky! I love the way Ree writes, she's such a natural author! And yum, pot roast :D

Rhondi said...

I love pot roast-it reminds me of Sunday dinners when I was a kid. I also made one Friday night because I got the meat on sale and had a coupon. I will have to try adding a beer next time-we always have a few of those in the fridge. I'm still reading Ree's book too and I'm loving it!

Unknown said...

I don't think you can beat a good chuck roast in the crock pot. It's always so tender and tasty. Thanks for linking it up to Crock Pot Wednesday. Happy Birthday:)

Post a Comment