CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Chicken Shortcake


This was another recipe from my mother's stash.  I don't remember her ever making it while I was growing up, however, I wish she did.  This dish was great and was fairly easy to make. Think chicken, with a milk gravy over cornbread.  And it was extremely filling.  I paired this with a potato side dish and neither my husband or I could finish it.

Chicken Shortcake

For the Shortcake:
1 Tbsp Shortening to grease the pan
1/4 Cup Shortening
1 Cup Cornmeal
1 Cup Flour
1 Tbsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Sugar
1/4 tsp Salt
1 Egg
1 Cup Buttermilk

Creamed Chicken:
3 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast, Cooked and Diced
3 Tbsp Butter
3 Tbsp Flour
1 1/2 Cups Milk
1/2 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Black Pepper

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.  Grease an 8x8in baking pan with shortening and set in the oven to heat.  Melt the rest of the shortening in a small saucepan over low heat.  Turn off the heat when melted.  In a medium sized bowl, mix cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar and salt, mixing well.  Add melted shortening, egg and buttermilk, mix just until combined.  Take the pan out of the oven  and pour batter into pan.  Bake for 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.  Stir in the flour and cook for a few minutes, stirring constantly.  Slowly pour in milk, stirring constantly.  Keep stirring until the mixture is thick and creamy.  Add salt and pepper.  Stir in cooked chicken.  Cook over low heat for 5 minutes.  Add more milk if sauce is too thick.  Serve creamy chicken over squares of shortcake.










Share


3 comments:

Keli said...

Yum!! That looks amazing! I might make this tonight. :) I have a linkup on Thursdays - What's Cooking Thursdays, if you're interested!

Thanks for linking up to Friendly Wednesday, I'm following you back.

www.savingthosedollars.blogspot.com

carolinaheartstrings said...

What a great "comfort" food. My favorite, chicken and creamy! Yum.

The Daily Smash said...

This is such a great idea.. and so simple thanks for the idea

Ashley
www.thedailysmash101.blogspot.com

Post a Comment