CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Spanish Rice

Growing up, I never much cared for Spanish Rice.  We always had it from the box and I thought it was too spicy (I'm a wuss).  So I would always skip over it.  Recently while visiting my mother-in-law, she was making nachos for dinner and made a side of Spanish rice.  I never thought to make the rice myself, so I continued watching.  It was so easy and and very tasty.  While I throughly enjoyed it I thought it was missing something.  So I went on a mission tweaking the recipe till I came up with this.  It adds a little more flavor with no spice to it.  If you enjoy your Spanish Rice spicy, this probably isn't for you.  Ilene's addition of bacon was absolutely wonderful.  Bacon makes everything better.


1/2 lb Bacon, diced and fried
3 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Whole Onion, diced
1 Cup diced bell peppers, I use a little of both green and red
2 Cups Long Grain Rice
4 Cups Chicken Broth
1 11.5 oz can Tomato Juice
1 11.5 oz can V8 Juice

In a medium sized pot heat up the oil.  Add in onions, bell peppers and rice.  Cook until onions are translucent and rice is a light golden brown.  Add in the chicken broth, tomato juice, v8 and bacon.  Stir until combined and cover, cooking for about 20 minutes, till the rice is tender and almost all the liquid has been absorbed.  Some liquid will be slightly left on the top, just stir it up.


Printable Page 



Share


1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well after making this for myself there won't be anymore box spanish rice. The San Fracisco treat is no longer a treat.
Mom

Post a Comment