CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Chrisy's Favorite Cookies

I've always loved scrap booking.  People make such gorgeous pages for their memories.  I've been meaning to take a crack at it but have no idea where to start with my pile of random photos.  I decided that I would start small.  With collecting recipes, perfecting them and taking photos of the finished product, I decided that I was going to put together a family cookbook, scrap book style.  I've only gotten 1 page down and the cover done.  Haven't had the time to really work on it and I'm still messing with many of the recipes I have.


The cover.  I used a purple 3 ring binder I had laying around, using scrap book paper, stickers and some clip art I found on the internet.  I really like that picture.


The only page I have done.  Going with simple as to not overload the page.



I'll be switching this picture out soon, with the one I'll be posting her in a minute.  I think the most recent picture looks better.  I'm hoping in the next few months as I take more pictures to post with my recipes that I can get a couple more pages done at least.

Anyways on to the cookies!






These cookies are known by several names and most people seem to have a version of these. My sister Chrisy, always asks me to make these.  She babysat for me a few days ago while I ran errands and made a special batch for her.  I don't make these very often because looking at the ingredients, well, they really aren't that good for you.


These cookies are very delicate and fragile and should be handled with care as they don't travel well.  Perfect example would be that I made some for Christmas and carefully packaged them in an old ice cream bucket for storage. I had them sitting on my bed for the time being till I could put them away and my oldest monster went into my bedroom and knocked the bucket over.  Half of them were broken.  Next time I will put them away right away.  Lesson learned.


2 Large Eggs
1 Cup Oil
1 Cup Butter, Softened
1 Cup Sugar
1 Cup Powdered Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla
4 Cups Flour
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Cream of Tartar
1 tsp Ground Nutmeg (optional)


In a large bowl, cream eggs, oil, butter, both sugars, and vanilla.  In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking powder, cream of tartar and nutmeg.  Add to creamed mixture mixing until combined.  Chill for 1 hour.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Drop spoonfuls of dough onto a baking sheet. Using either your hands or the bottom of a glass, greased, flatten the dough slightly.  Sprinkle with sugar crystals if desired.  Bake for 10-15 minutes until edges start to turn golden brown.


Ideas: You could easily switch up the flavor of this cookie but omitting the nutmeg and switching out the vanilla extract for others such as lemon, orange, coconut or whatever else tickles your fancy.  I'm looking to make coconut next time because I've fallen in love with coconut extract.  If you try one of these others let me know how they turn out!


Printable Page



Share


1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very good Cookies, A whole container gone in two days.
Mom

Post a Comment